You’ve just been hit by another driver in Texas. Now what? For many of us, it’s difficult to know what to do. After an auto accident, you may wonder what your next steps are. Do you need a lawyer? Personal injuries after a car accident may not be evident until several days, weeks or months later. This is why it is important for Texas drivers to speak with experienced Houston lawyers who can advise you on what to do after an auto accident.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
No one drives away in their car and expects to be in a crash. When it does happen, drivers usually have a sense of shock and disbelief. It’s no surprise that many Houston drivers make some common mistakes at the scene of an accident and afterward. Unfortunately, these slipups can be quite costly.
To keep yourself from falling victim, take a look at a few of the most common errors people make after a car accident:
What to Do After an Auto Accident in Houston
- Not seeking immediate medical attention – Have medical personnel check any passengers and yourself, especially if experiencing any visible injuries or soreness.
- Not providing details of your injuries or symptoms to the attending physician – Never minimize the pain you are suffering. Be truthful, detailed and specific.
- Not filing a police report – Even minor fender benders need to have a police report filed. You can never be sure when hidden damage may surface.
- Not documenting the scene – Take pictures or video with your cell phone. Take names and numbers of potential witnesses. These may come in handy at a later date.
- Not consulting with Houston lawyers who specialize in car accident cases – Do you need a lawyer? Yes. Get a lawyer before signing any paperwork from an insurance company.
After a car accident, the first thing you need to do is take care of you and your passengers. This may mean seeking medical assistance and legal advice. Contact
Houston lawyers who can advocate for your rights.