For the majority of drivers on Texas roadways, driving while intoxicated is simply not an option. Most responsible drivers understand the risks of injury or even death that are associated with getting behind the wheel after having a few drinks. Unfortunately, these safe and responsible motorists are still at risk of being injured as a result of a DWI. Often, it is the innocent victim struck by another intoxicated driver who suffers the worst injuries.
Texas DWI injuries are, unfortunately, on the rise. The following is a list of key points relating to this widespread problem.
- In Texas, if a driver's blood alcohol concentration is .08 or above, that is considered driving under the influence. Unfortunately, many drivers fail to realize that this limit is hit after just a few drinks.
- Texas has more deaths related to drunk driving than any other state in the nation, with over 1,500 fatalities occurring annually. That amounts to approximately 45% of all annual driving related deaths statewide.
- Texas drunk driving accidents are more likely to cause devastating injuries to victims because the driver is often travelling at a high rate of speed. There is a direct correlation between the rate of speed in an accident and the severity of the injuries suffered.
- Brazoria County DWI victims are more likely to be awarded settlements by juries than victims of other traffic accidents. Juries do not view drunk drivers as sympathetic figures. There is simply no excuse for drunk driving and the devastation that it causes innocent victims.
- Victims of a Texas DWI accident have two options. They can sue either the driver or the driver's liability insurance policy. The driver may also face criminal charges stemming from the accident.
Texas drivers who operate their motor vehicles under the influence of alcohol or drugs are more likely to cause injury due to:
- Impaired judgment
- Lack of impulse control
- Difficulty focusing
- Reduced response and reflex time
- Falling asleep behind the wheel
If you were injured in a Texas DWI accident, it is essential that you contact our husband and wife Texas car accident attorney team to protect your rights. For a free, no obligation legal consultation, call our office at 713-226-9900 or toll-free at 1-844-301-KAHN.