It's crucial that you seek medical treatment immediately after any serious dog bite injuries. You should also get in touch with a Houston personal injury lawyer as soon as you're capable. Under the Texas dog bite law, you may be able to recover damages for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and maybe even disfigurement.
Serious Dog Bite Injuries: Scars and Infections
When a dog bite injury results in disfiguring scars, you may have to undergo several sessions of cosmetic surgery. When the victim is a child, cosmetic surgery may have to be postponed until the child has fully developed. Because of this, you'll need a Houston personal injury lawyer to help you fight for current and future medical treatment. You may also be entitled to damages for altered quality of life.
Other major concerns after a dog attack are infections, such as:
- rabies – a deadly viral infection with symptoms of convulsions, loss of muscle function and pain;
- cellulitis – a skin infection with symptoms of fever, pain, inflammation, muscle aches and joint stiffness; and
- C canimorsus – although rare, this infection can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, myalgia, difficulty breathing, and death.
United States statistics indicate that:
- there were 34 dog attack fatalities in the country in 2010;
- at least 350,000 victims of dog bite injuries are treated in emergency rooms annually; and
- about 800,000 victims receive some form of medical treatment annually for dog attacks.
However, few victims recover damages from homeowners' or renters' insurance companies. To increase your chances of receiving compensation for your dog bite injury you should seek out the guidance of a Houston personal injury lawyer who understands the Texas dog bite law.
An attorney may be able to help by:
- tracking down the dog's owner;
- interviewing eyewitnesses; and
- negotiating with insurers to help you receive a fair settlement.
You owe it to yourself and your family to have good legal counsel by your side.
Contact a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer
When you have experienced legal representation on your side after a dog bite injury, you can rest assured that your attorney will fight for all compensation to which you may be entitled under the Texas dog bite law, including past, current and future medical expenses; pain and suffering; lost earnings or earning potential; or wrongful death benefits.
While you focus on your recovery and emotional wellbeing, you should have a Houston lawyer at The Kahn Law Firm advocating for your rights. Contact us today – 713-226-9900 or toll-free at 1-844-301-KAHN.