When you become seriously ill after taking prescription medication or using a defective medical device, you may have grounds for a dangerous drugs lawsuit. To discuss your legal options, you should schedule a free consultation with a Houston dangerous drug lawyer at The Kahn Law Firm.
It's an unfortunate reality that some prescription drugs have horrible adverse effects that many patients may not even be aware of. When you suffer a drug injury, you may be able to hold the drug manufacturer, your doctor or your pharmacist accountable.
Consider the blood thinner Warfarin, for example. Although it is often prescribed to prevent blood clots, it can lead to heavy bleeding from just a simple cut. And then there's the powerful acne medicine, Accutane, which has been linked to birth defects, liver damage, Crohn's disease and suicidal ideation.
Other Dangerous Drugs that Could Lead to a Lawsuit
You should make it a priority to contact Texas drug injury lawyers if you have reason to believe that you or a loved one is suffering because of dangerous drugs. In addition to the previously mentioned drugs, common dangerous drugs include:
- Fosamax - this drug for osteoporosis and Paget's disease has been linked to osteonecrosis of the jaw, in which jawbone tissue may fail to heal after a tooth extraction or minor trauma.
- Seroquel - used to treat the symptoms of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, this drug has been linked to heart failure, pneumonia and early-onset diabetes.
- Paxil - an antidepressant that may bring on suicidal thoughts in children and adolescents. It may also cause birth defects.
- Vaginal Mesh - when used to repair prolapse or for urinary stress incontinence surgery, problems include erosion of the mesh, pain, infections, urinary tract problems, bleeding and organ damage.
- MRI/MRA Contrast Agent - a dangerous skin disease, nephrogenic systemic fibrosis, has been reported among patients exposed to gadolinium-based contrast agents. It can cause thickening of skin and organs as well as bone fractures.
- Drug-coated stents - these have been linked to blood clots, which increase the risk of a heart attack and death.
Another common drug injury that could lead to a lawsuit is Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, which is caused by an allergic reaction to many drugs, including antibiotics, sedatives and anticonvulsants such as Dilantin. Symptoms of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome include rash, severe swelling and blistering, fever, difficulty breathing, and painful urination.
A Houston Area Dangerous Drug Lawyer Can Help
The drug injury lawyers at The Kahn Law Firm know the ins and outs of the pharmaceutical industry and can defend you against the makers of dangerous drugs and medical devices. Our drug injury lawyers will do everything possible to help you seek compensation for your injuries, including medical expenses pain and suffering, and lost wages.
If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of a defective or dangerous drug or medical device, call our drug injury lawyers today for a free consultation at 1-713-226-9900 or toll free 1-844-301-KAHN.