When dealing with the after effects of a car accident, it’s important to know what to do and what not to do. Doing or saying the wrong thing, especially in the presence of someone from an insurance company, could greatly hurt your ability to receive the compensation you’re due.
If you’re involved in a car accident, heed these dos and don’ts:
- Do know the extent of your motorist insurance coverage. Be aware of the policies you hold and what’s covered (and not covered) under each.
- Do call your insurance agent as soon as possible and alert them of your accident.
- If your car has been totaled, be aware of whether your motorist insurance coverage offers full replacement of the vehicle or just depreciated/actual cash value.
- Don’t settle for any estimates or appraisals from the insurance company. They may be undercutting you.
- Don’t sign anything or give any statements without seeking legal consultation first.
- Don’t ignore your policy time limits. If your policy requires something within a certain time period, ensure they get it. This could mean the difference between having your damages paid by the insurance company and paying for them out of pocket.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, you could be eligible for compensation for damages, repairs, and medical bills. Call theHoustonaccident attorneys at The Kahn Firm at 713-226-9900 or 844-301-KAHN to discuss your case today.